Tuesday, April 9, 2013

An Answer.

Part of the results came back from Gus' stool sample and one thing we know for sure at this point is that there are white blood cells in his stool. This is a symptom of an inflamed gut caused by food allergies. Just as we had suspected. Since Saturday I had been on a self prescribed total elimination diet of rice, sweet potatoes, free range turkey and chicken, yellow and green squash and pears. Delicious. I was supposed to stay on this for two weeks to clean out my system and then slowly faze things back in. By Sunday night I was starving and by Monday my milk supply had been affected and Gus was starving. Tuesday morning our Dr. called and recommended that we switch Gus to Nutramigen formula. She encouraged me to pump if I wanted to and to save the milk as Gus may be able to handle it in a couple of months. I have been doing so but realistically I don't have the freezer space and between caring for a newborn and an almost 2.5 year old I don't have much time to pump. But I will continue to try and maybe I'll donate my milk while I can. So sad to put my nursing pillow away but if it makes my gent feel better I am happy to do so. And oh my, is he better! He has been a sleepy and happy baby all day. He happily sat in his swing for 15 minutes and then fell asleep on his own in said swing for over an hour! The only way he has gone to sleep for six weeks is from someone holding him or me nursing him. He's so tired it is like he's sleeping to catch up on all the sleep he's missed in his first six weeks of life. We have even stopped the Zantac and he is hardly spitting up and if he does he seems unphased by it. I am so happy to see him feeling better and I just pray that it continues and that this is really the answer we have been looking for. Now please excuse me while I go bond with and love on my little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment