Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pattern Review: Vintage Simplicity 7817


I recently pulled out my maternity clothes and what once seemed so cute and trendy now seems dated and tired. I just don't think there is much there I can really wear again. You know at the end, I was so desperate I was wearing a pink cotton t shirt with a stain right on the front. Can you believe I saved that shirt? What in my mind made me think I would want to wear that again for another pregnancy? It's baffling.

Thus a new obsession has been born. Vintage maternity patterns on Etsy. I'll be ten weeks on Saturday and I have already purchased three patterns. I just can't help myself. Everyday there are new and cute ones that make me think - YEAH! That will make these coming months of awkward body more exciting. They range in price from $6 - $12 so I know ultimately it is cheaper than buying maternity clothes and I get to have more fun with fabric choice. I won't mess with making maternity pants - just start looking at some of those vintage patterns for those and you will immediately begin feeling bad for your grandmother. Pretty hilarious. So I have been buying patterns for tops and dresses that I like. I started to make one and abandoned it before the zipper even went in because the stripes were never going to line up. Then I started another and was to the point of finishing the cuff on the sleeves (SO CLOSE) when my sewing machine broke. The top sat unfinished in my sewing room for nearly two weeks until today when I picked up my repaired machine!

Cutting to the chase, I know I am going to wear this shirt but the whole time I was finishing it I couldn't stop thinking "You can't win them all." The fit is not the best but I don't have a real belly yet so it will probably improve. The shoulders are too broad but I can fix that the next time I make the shirt. I LOVE the Peter Pan collar and am already dreaming of making the next one with a sequined collar and heavy Georgette fabric. The fabric combination is a little clownish but I like it. Are you embarrassed for me that I made a shirt that matches the same one I made for Rivers? You probably should be. Am I? No. I have found I purposely try to match her quite often. My mom did it for me and I shall return the favor. Overall:    A (maternity clothing is on a reduced scale. In other words this top would probably earn a C+ on the regular clothing scale)


Ralpherson makes the shirt even cuter than it really is. We could also label this: homegirl really needs to touch up her roots.

With this pose I think I can officially retire any dreams of ever becoming a fashion blogger.

Yup. See caption above.

Our only full length mirror is in the laundry room

A preview of my next maternity sewing project

4 comments:

  1. You are an adorable girl... home girl. I can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concerning les photos: Peut-etre un tri-pod pour ta camera & lumiere different dans le salon, mais le photo dans la buanderie est trop chou! Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank you ladies! And thank you Tara for the fancy french comment on my blog. Riversandrhodes goes international! Can you believe my four years of high school french allowed me to read and comprehend it?? Hooray!

    ReplyDelete