Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pickled Okra

The only craving I had with Rivers was root beer. Dave once even had a basket delivered to my office with cookies and an assortment of root beer brands. It was utterly delicious and I indulged almost daily until 27 weeks when I learned I had gestational diabetes. What a real bummer that was for my pregnant ears. I was put on a low carb diet and had to test my blood sugar 4 times daily. It really wasn't too big of a deal because thankfully I was able to control it with diet alone and it probably saved me from really packing on the pounds at the end when I was feeling especially pregnant and therefore felt entitled to my food.

I'll be tested for gestational at 11.5 weeks this time. Considering the odds are very high that I will have it again, that means I could be looking at 28+ weeks of 15 grams of carbs for breakfast, 60 for lunch and dinner and 15 for a nighttime snack. 15 grams of carbs is a piece of bread, y'all. I always felt like I was starving on the diet, which is overly dramatic but I was eating for two!!!

So maybe that is why this time the cravings are infinite. It is like my body has an intuition as to what is to come and is storing up for the long winter. For no reason other than it amuses me and I want to remember, the list of cravings is as follows:

-Pickled okra
-Luigi's red wine vinaigrette on butter lettuce with carrots and tomatoes (this is by FAR my biggest craving and I think about it no less than three times daily)
-Pace salsa (i love that trash)
-Kung Pao chicken
-Rice. Fried rice. Brown rice. Risotto.
-BBQ chicken
-Enchiladas

I'm experiencing some food aversion this time and I know that is why I'm indulging my cravings so intensely- I better eat what sounds awesome otherwise I won't be eating. Has Dave sent me a basket with all my favorites you ask? Well, considering he told me he was sick of the cravings on Sunday, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Poor guy. He's got it rough this time around.

2 comments:

  1. So, bummer on the gesters, but here's a side note: Avoid the processed whities :)
    Chlorine dioxide, one of the chemicals used to bleach flour (even if later made brown again, a common trick), combines with residual protein to form alloxan. Researchers use alloxan in lab rats to induce diabetes. This is bad news if you eat anything white or "enriched".

    A new favorite catalog of mine: http://wholefoodcatalog.info/
    So awesomely thorough and well designed too! You absolutely must check this out if you're into food/nutrient contents, cooked or raw. An amazing database.

    P.S. Cottage cheese is my GO-TO. Relatively low in carbs, lean, high in protein, and superfast to eat when you've got all kinds of momma urgencies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Tara! I'll have to take a look at that website. I'm hopeful I won't have it this time, and that is was just a weird hormonal thing but if not, I'll be prepared!

    ReplyDelete